The ESK has the committees on Waste Conditioning, Transport and Interim Storage (AZ), on Final Disposal(EL) and on Decommissioning (ST). This is an overview of the work and the members of the committees.
Committee on Waste Conditioning, Transport and Interim Storage (AZ)
The “Committee on Waste Conditioning, Transport and Interim Storage” (AZ) carries out consultations on general safety issues in connection with the conditioning of radioactive waste as well as the transport and interim storage of radioactive substances. As far as the topics are related to the dismantling of nuclear facilities, these are dealt with in close co-operation with the “Committee on Decommissioning” (ST).
Current topics are the waste streams from the reprocessing of fuel assemblies, the transport and interim storage of spent fuel and other radioactive substances. These comprise the packaging and the inventories (spent fuel assemblies, high-level and high-pressure compacted medium-level waste, etc.) well as the experience made with conditioning, transport and interim storage of these radioactive substances so far. Furthermore, the Committee deals with the preparatory work for the emplacement of radioactive waste in the Konrad repository mine.
Other topics are the safety requirements on facilities for radioactive waste management in national and international rules and regulations and the consideration of experiences and new findings from the operation of such facilities.
- Current topics of consultations
- Implementation of the ESK Guidelines for the storage of radioactive waste with negligible heat generation
- State of preparations in providing radioactive waste packages for the Konrad repository
- Handling of old waste, post-qualification and documentation
- Quality assurance in the manufacture of transport and storage casks for spent fuel and heat-generating radioactive waste
- Removal of transport and storage casks after a long storage period and regulations under traffic law
- Guideline for the safe operation of a disposal facility for heat-generating radioactive waste
- Safety requirements for the conditioning of radioactive waste
>> To the agendas of the committee on Waste Conditioning, Transport and Interim Storage (AZ)
|Dr. Claudia Schauer||Chair||TÜV SÜD Industrie Service GmbH Munich|
|Dr. Stefan Theis||Vice Chair||Eidgenössisches Nuklearsicherheitsinspektorat Villigen-ENSI Switzerland|
|Dr. Gabriele Bandt||Member||Vattenfall Europe Nuclear Energy GmbH, Hamburg|
|Dipl.-Ing. Holger Bröskamp||Member||Self-employed advisory engineer|
|Dr. Anne Glindkamp||Member||TÜV NORD EnSys Hannover|
|Anja Graf-Frank||Member||Gesellschaft für Nukleares Reststoffrecycling mbH (GNR), Philippsburg|
|Dipl.-Ing. Iris Graffunder||Member||Kerntechnische Entsorgung Karlsruhe GmbH (KTE)|
|Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Friedrich Herzog||Member||Retired|
|Dipl.-Ing. Beate Kallenbach-Herbert||Member||JEN Jülicher Entsorgungsgesellschaft für Nuklearanlagen mbH|
|Dipl.-Ing. Julia Mareike Neles||Member||Öko-Institut e. V.|
|Dipl.-Ing. Olaf Oldiges||Member||DAHER Nuclear Technologies GmbH, Hanau|
|Dr. Florence-Nathalie Sentuc||Member||Gesellschaft für Anlagen- und Reaktorsicherheit (GRS) gGmbH|
|Dr. Holger Spann||Member||GNS Gesellschaft für Nuklear-Service mbH, Essen|
|Prof. Dr. Holger Völzke||Member||Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM), Berlin|
Committee on Final Disposal (EL)
The “Committee on Final Disposal” (EL) carries out consultations on scientific and technical issues in connection with the disposal of low- and medium-level as well as high-level radioactive waste.
As a follow-up to the publication of the safety requirements governing the final disposal of heat-generating radioactive waste of 30.09.2010 by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), the Committee deals, inter alia, with issues and questions related to these safety requirements. These include the development of guidelines specifying the requirements and dealing with the underlying model assumptions, e.g. for the containment-providing rock zone and the long-term radiological statement.
The Committee regularly gathers information about the progress made with regard to repository projects in Germany (construction of the Konrad mine repository, closure of the Morsleben Repository for Radioactive Waste (ERAM), Asse II mine, repository for high- level radioactive waste, Site Selection Act) and discusses new issues that arise. The consultation programme also includes issues related to main areas of research and promotion concepts in Germany.
If required, topics related to issues of radiation protection are dealt with in close consultation with the Commission on Radiological Protection (SSK) and their committees.
- Current Topics of Consultations
- Systematic survey and evaluation of incidents in connection with disposal
- Need for updating the selection and weighing criteria developed by the former Committee on a Selection Procedure for Repository Site (AkEnd)
- Extended storage of spent fuel and heat-generating radioactive waste
- Guideline for the safe operation of a storage facility for and heat generating radioactive waste (in consultation with Committee AZ)
- Evaluation of the ESK Workshops of 20 and 21 January 2015: State of knowledge and knowledge gaps regarding the potential disposal facility host rock types salt, clay and crystalline
- Asse II mine, Morsleben disposal facility for radioactive waste (ERAM) and Konrad disposal facility
>> To the agendas of the committee on Final Disposal (EL)
|Prof. Dr. Horst Geckeis||Chair||Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen|
|Prof. Dr. Barbara Reichert||Vice Chair||University of Bonn - Institute for Geosciences|
|Dipl.-Chem. Wilma Boetsch||Member||TÜV Rheinland Industrie Service & Cyber Security GmbH|
|Prof. Dr. Stefan Buske||Member||TU Bergakademie Freiberg|
|Prof. Dr. Thomas Fanghänel||Member||European Commission, Joint Research Centre-JRC, Bruxelles|
|Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil Eleni Gerolymatou||Member||TU Clausthal, Institut dfür Endlagerforschung|
|Prof. h.c. Dr. Bernd Grambow||Member|
|Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dipl.-Wirt. Ing. Daniela Gutberlet||Member||Westphalian University of Applied Science|
|Dr. Felix Lehnen||Member||Brenk Systemplanung, Aachen|
|Prof. Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Röhlig||Member||Technische Universität Clausthal, Clausthal-Zellerfeld|
|Dr.-Ing. Axel Johannes Schmidt||Member||TÜV Nord EnSys GmbH & Co. KG, Hannover|
|Prof. Dr. Thorsten Stumpf||Member||Helmholtz Zentrum Dresden Rossendorf|
|Dr. Tim Vietor||Member||National Cooperative for the Disposal of Radioactive Waste (NAGRA), Switzerland|
Committee on Decommissioning (ST)
The “Committee on Decommissioning” (ST) carries out consultations on general safety issues in connection with current projects in the field of decommissioning, dismantling and disposal. The latter is performed in close co-operation with the “Committee on Waste Conditioning, Transport and Interim Storage” (AZ).
Safety issues related to current licensing procedures are one focus of the consultations.
Other topics are the safety requirements on the decommissioning of nuclear installations in national and international rules and regulation and the consideration of experiences and new findings in the field of decommissioning.
- Current topics of consultations
- Information about the decommissioning concepts of the nuclear power plants that are in their post-operational phase pursuant to the 13th amendment of the Atomic Energy Act (AtG) (with visits to the plants)
- Current issues relating to the decommissioning of the nuclear power plants
- Waste streams and waste management paths
- Aspects in connection with the decommissioning of the AVR Jülich plant
- Aspects in connection with the decommissioning of the WAK and VEK facilities
>> To the agendas of the committee on Decommissioning (ST)
|Dipl.-Phys. Detlef Beltz||Chair||TÜV NORD EnSys GmbH & Co. KG, Hannover|
|Dr. Jörg Kaulard||Vice Chair||Brenk Systemplanung GmbH Aachen|
|Matthias Dewald, M.Sc.||Member||Gesellschaft für Anlagen- und Reaktorsicherheit (GRS) gGmbH|
|Dipl.-Ing. Katja Döscher||Member||EnBW Kernkraft GmbH, Philippsburg|
|Dipl.-Ing. Henrik Efraimsson||Member||Strålsäkerhetsmyndigheten, Stockholm|
|Dipl.-Phys. Fabian Engeser||Member||TÜV SÜD Energietechnik GmbH Baden-Württemberg, Filderstadt|
|Dipl.-Ing. Katrin Hertkorn-Kiefer||Member||RWE nuclear GmbH, Essen|
|Dr. Matthias Hillberg||Member||TÜV NORD Ensys GmbH & Co. KG, Hannover|
|Dipl.-Ing. Steffen Jung||Member||EWN Entsorgungswerk für Nuklearanlagen GmbH, Rubenow|
|Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Kaiser||Member||PreussenElektra GmbH, Kernkraftwerk Grafenrheinfeld|
|Dipl.-Phys. Christian Küppers||Member||Öko-Institut e. V., Darmstadt|
|Dipl.-Ing. Alexandra Reichenbach||Member||TÜV SÜD Industrie Service GmbH, Munich|
|Dipl.-Ing. Tom-Oliver Solisch||Member||ESN Sicherheit und Zertifizierung GmbH, Schwentinental|